For a leaner twist on regular beef burgers, we use ground buffalo. We forget the bun and serve it up on large romaine leafs for the Paleo preference.
- 1 lb (455 grams) ground buffalo
- ¼ medium red onion, minced
- 1 Tbs dijon mustard
- 1 Tsp granulated garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Garnish with tomato, sliced red onions and guacamole
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the burgers without overworking the meat.
- Divide meat into 3 equal portions and form into ½-inch (12-mm)-thick patties. Use your thumb to make an indentation in the center of each burger. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Once grill is hot, place the burgers on the grill and close the lid. Cook 6 minutes.
- Flip the burgers and cook for 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare, or until desired doneness. Remove the burgers from grill and let rest for 5 to 7 minutes.
- To assemble the burgers, place each on a bed of romaine lettuce and top with sliced red onions, ¼ cup guacamole and tomato.